Wednesday, May 27, 2009

here it comes

Okay, we've kept you in suspense long enough. Are you ready for the big news? Are you? Really? Maybe I should give you a multiple choice or something to add to the suspense.


No, I won't do that.


We have had a really neat month. It has all happened so fast, and already we've seen so many miracles that we just know this is right, despite how it may look from the outside. Adam was offered and accepted a part-time student teaching job for CES teaching seminary. We have release time here so it is a paid position, but only part-time. We are very excited. It kind of came out of nowhere and has been so neat.

About a month ago I was driving home from the store and got the distinct impression, "turn off the radio and listen". Okay. So I did. And I started thinking about my wonderful husband, and what does he really want to do? What job would really make him happy? I felt like the answer was obvious. Seminary teaching.

We've started this process before. He took a class at BYU-I and when we came down last year took another class. At the end of that class he was offered a student teaching position, but we just didn't feel good about it. Our assumption at that point was that seminary teaching was not for us. But as we revisited that experience it hit us-- we didn't know we were pregnant with Carlie at the time. We needed to keep our benefits, and therefore the timing just wasn't right.

So I asked Adam, if he would be teaching seminary if money wasn't an issue. He said yeah, he would love to teach seminary, but money is an issue. Then we talked about who is really taking care of us. We know the Lord will continue to bless us as long as we do what He asks of us.

The next day seminary teaching was all Adam could think about. He emailed his teacher from last year about what he would need to do to start the process again. His teacher emailed us almost immediately and said that they were starting their two-week teaching experience that week. Adam was welcome to jump in if he wanted.

So we did. It was a great week. The already great spirit in our home got even better. Adam's lessons went great. He is a natural teacher. And the kids loved him. Here are a few of the things they said about Adam:

"He makes things fun and interesting for everybody."
"He seems to care personally about all of us even though he does not know us very well. So he is striving to make a difference. I respect that."
"Teaching, not telling"
"He gets us involved and is very happy all the time. He brings a very happy atmosphere into the class"
"Gives examples from the life experience"
"Walks us through the lesson, gives his opinion, lets us give our opinion"
"Using good stories and principles to help relate to nowaday situations"
"I don't know. He's too awesome"

That last one was my favorite. It was a great learning experience for all of us. And at the end they offered us a student teaching position which we of course took. They told us that this next year will feel like a year long interview. We will have lots of interviews, observations, and a home visit. Then we might get offered a job, we might not. That's the fun part. We're not sure what will happen but we know this is what we are supposed to be doing right now.

We wondered for a minute how we could make it this next year with only a part time job. Only for a minute. Because then we started getting leads. Four to be exact. We're still working out the details, and aren't sure which one will work out right now but we are confident that the Lord is taking care of us. That's the only way that we could have so many choices in this economy.

It's been a great month. The feeling in our home has been so wonderful. We love it. He starts his prep work and classroom set up June 1st. They'll pay him this summer for his prep time which is awesome. He had to quit his current job which was bitter-sweet. It's been a great job, but we are excited for this new opportunity as well.

Our testimony is that Heavenly Father knows us personally. He is aware of our circumstances, and His timing is perfect. He wants us to build His kingdom in whichever way our talents allow. We know HE LOVES US!

So there's our big news. For those of you that already knew, thank you for your support. We are grateful for your share in our excitement!

8 comments:

Pamela said...

That is so wonderful. We are so excited for you. I just love it when everything just falls into place and you know that it is right. good luck!!

Kristin said...

Wow congratulations! What a fulfilling job for you guys. I hope everything works out wonderfully!

Christy said...

I can't see Adam doing anything else but being a seminary teacher... I wish he could get on at Hamilton... I would LOVE for my kids to have him!!!

I'm so impressed with your ability to take such a huge leap of faith- it's always great to remember who's really in charge of our lives! Good luck!

Shayla said...

Congrats!!! It is so exciting to read about the influence you both still have on people. I really miss being around you!

Sarah said...

Wow, Christine. That is so great. I am so happy for you guys. I really appreciate your great outlook on life and your willingness and example to follow the spirit. Adam, I am sure, is a wonderful seminary teacher. Best wishes with all the new leads, etc.

Jones Family said...

This is great news! Adam will be great! You are such a cute family. The love and support you offer each other is a wonderful example. Many kids lives will be blessed by the choice you have made. Best wishes!

Julie Jardine said...

I love the comments that the students made! That is so great that they had such great things to say. But it is no surprise that Adam is such a great teacher! I'm happy for you guys! Miss ya, and Love ya!!!

nicole said...

Wow! That is so great! I'm sure he's an amazing teacher. He definitely has the personality for it! Teaching is in his genes. ;) And what a wonderful and supportive wife he has! Congrats!