Meg has totally hit the terrible twos in full swing. Lucy completely skipped them. Completely. But now, she too is making up for lost time and following Meg's lead when it comes to tantrums. WOW. And Carlie, my sweet angel baby, appears to be teething.
Example A:
Me: Meg, let's go get dressed, we have to leave in a few minutes.
Meg: NO! AHHHHGGGHRRRRRHHHAHHRRRRR! (she says while throwing herself on the ground, kicking her legs, rolling around, and flailing her arms.)
Me: Meg, right now. Make a good choice, please choose to be obedient.
Meg: NO! AHHHHGGGHRRRRRHHHAHHRRRRR! (more rolling, more flailing, a little less kicking)
Me: (a little less patient this time) NOW, MEGAN LINDA! It's time to get dressed. Do you want to go to time out?
Meg: NO! AHHHHGGGHRRRRRHHHAHHRRRRR! (now she has slipped into 'rag doll' mode as I try to lift her and force her up the stairs)
I don't think I need to recite the rest of the conversation. You get the idea.
Example B:
I must admit I prefer the three-year-old version of the terrible twos much better. They are a little easier to reason with. Yesterday Lucy is fighting me on curling her hair. And yes, I pulled the "it's mother's day, please let me do your hair the way I want to" plea. She squirmed and wiggled and cried until finally I said, "Lucy, seriously, what is your problem?!?"
Her response?
"Mom! I think. . . I think. . . I'm just SOOOOO tired!"
Fair enough.
Can you believe those conversations could come out of these cuties? I know, unbelievable.
And here is angel baby in her former glory. The last three days she has spent a lot more time drooling, and crying. She's had a little fever and can't keep her hands out of her mouth. We've tried to cuddle her a little more, she's usually fine if you walk her around. It's just hard when you know they're in pain! Hopefully it'll be over soon!
5 comments:
I can very much relate to the Terrible threes. Miranda has started that and it is not fun. I love the pics. They are darling.
ok I am sure you know this stuff but I am going to tell you anyway in the love and logic books it talks about giving kids choices (please don't think I am criting you it has just been the same at my house and here is what I have learned) instead of lets go get dressed you just say "do you want to wear pink shirt or red shirt today?" they thinking they get to decide not noticing that they have to get dressed then it keeps going all day then do you want to wear a skirt or short, blue or black. the hard part is thinking about them on the spot but it works wonders at my house. good luck.
yuck. So sorry. I guess it's all a part of being a parent, isn't it? Happy Mother's Day.
Love and Logic techniques can work wonders! Our 12 yr old wanted a choice in a recent matter with my husband, so... my husband said, "You can either choose to not be homeschooled next year or go to public school, which would you prefer?" Justin laughed and chose public school =)
BTW My newest addition, #5 Matthew, officially joined our family last Fri., May 8th!
Hey there. The girls are all looking so sweet. I have to say that time will fade the memories of these challenging times. We miss your fun family! Hope all is well.
Tammy
Post a Comment