Tuesday, April 12, 2011

spring break in san diego

For spring break we decided it was past time to get away. With our limited funds, we needed somewhere relatively close, with a friend to stay with, and some free or inexpensive sight seeing possibilities. Lucky for us, San Diego fit the description. It was perfect, just what we needed, and so much fun! But...I forgot my camera! Big surprise, I know, so here are some pictures of what we did. First of all, I wish I could capture this house we stayed in. AMAZING. My friend Kelly moved there last June and invited us to stay with her and her parents who just happen to have a gorgeous, HUGE house in the hills of San Diego. Her parents just happened to be out of town so they gave us the master suite, I'm not exaggerating, it was about the size of our entire downstairs. Beautiful, with a jetted bathtub and giant walk in shower-- we were in heaven. The girls' room had a jungle theme which they couldn't get enough of. There were jungle animals painted everywhere and Lucy and Meg loved it. Oh, and did I mention the pool, hot tub, trampoline and putting green in the backyard? Needless to say, we spent one whole day just hanging out. Adam watched March Madness, I gabbed with Kelly, and the girls explored and played and loved every minute of it. The next day was our sight seeing day. We visited Coronado Island. . . And managed to make our way into some kind of military base, very secure and had to ask for directions to get out while the guard took our ID. Very embarrassing. Then we walked around the beautiful San Diego temple. So beautiful. Then we went to the Mormon Batallion Museum. I had my doubts, but this place was SO COOL! The girls absolutely loved it. It is NOT your typical museum. This is where they start the tour, they introduce the place and then these pictures start talking. The entire tour is an interactive, entertaining movie viewed in 4 parts with scenery to match the part of the story. The first room is a forest, you sit on logs and there are trees above, the second is a store, then the desert, and finally a courthouse.



Then they take your picture, you can pan for gold, lay bricks, wash clothes, and pump water. We had a great time.

Our only regret was not spending enough time at the beach. We had too much fun there, and we came back when we needed to, instead of when we wanted to. But the girls were excited to see the ocean and tried to stay dry, but later embraced the cold water!


It was a quick trip, but a great one. I have missed Kelly so much I could have spent a week just talking to her! But it was great for the girls too, and Adam sorely needed a break.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

What a fun trip! We love San Diego. Glad you could get away for awhile.

Julie Jardine said...

Oh, I want to go to San Diego! That sounds so fun! So glad you got to go. Love it.

etreiersen said...

Looks like a fun vacation. I am glad you were able to get away, but I am sad you guys are not coming up here this summer.