Tuesday, August 18, 2009

my lucy

Lucy is 4 today. Seriously. Oh, my sweet Lucy Jean. How could she be four? And we have big plans for this year. I can't tell you how often in the last six months I have heard "maybe when I'm four I can do it". This is a pretty important year I guess. I'm getting that feeling, you know where you are coming to terms with the fact that next time you wake up, she's going to be going off to college. And she's already got her husband picked out, so that's going to happen all too soon. For now I'm going to try hard to just love her, and not get frustrated that she colored on the car. . . again. Here are some of Lucy's loves, most of which she has loved from a very young age.

Cell phones.

Books.

Make up.

Lucy is a very big helper, and we are trying to help her realize that she has some very attentive eyes on her. Whatever she does, Meg is not far behind.
She is very imaginative. Most days she is going on vacation, to school, or shopping. This, of course, she has to pack for. And she almost always has a baby to take with her. Right now her favorite color is pink, her favorite movie is Bolt, her favorite thing to do is play the iPod or computer games, and COLOR. SO much coloring! I have had to reason with her and say that we cannot keep EVERY picture, there are just too many. I'm talking 5-8 pictures a day. She loves to wear skirts, and play dress up.
Last night, driving home from FHE at Adam's classroom she told us a "SCARY STORY". A definite need-to-record scary story, they may make a movie out of it someday, and I want her to have full rights.

"One night, momma and dadda were sitting outside talking, and a rock flew down out of the sky. And momma was holding the baby, and the rock hit the baby in the head. And then it hit the sidewalk. And the a girl named Canada came and walked on the sidewalk, but she wasn't supposed to, and then she got sick.

The end."

She thought that story was pretty scary, and I have to agree. I hate scary stories with no resolution and that fits the description perfectly. But I love how her little mind works. And this morning she was singing a song.

Me: Lucy, that's a pretty song, can you sing it again for me?
Lucy: [sigh] Okay, but it is SOOOOO long.


And sure enough, I didn't get to hear the entire song, she was still singing when someone needed to be changed. I just love this girl. Adam and I were talking about tender mercies the other day, and I decided that getting my kids are one of mine. Lucy has always been tender hearted, and so kind and giving. And what an awesome big sister. She has loved every minute of it. She has now learned 10 articles of faith and loves to read the Book of Mormon. Lucy is so smart and fun. She has taught me a lot. I am so glad that she is mine. She has so much potential and is so beautiful. I tell her everyday, and she just smiles and says, "Thanks". She is very optimistic and reasonable. Usually a simple explanation will get her to comply. Lucy is always coming up with a new idea, and I love her creativity. She always wants to hear stories. And best of all, she enjoys, and is very good at, folding laundry. I feel like a very lucky mom today.




Happy Birthday, beautiful Lucy. We love you!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday, Lucy! You are a beautiful girl and sound like a perfect big sister. Have a wonderful year.

Cilka said...

She sure is a cutie pie! I think she looks just like you Christine!

Pamela said...

That is so fun, 4 is a big step and I hope she has a great day.

Kristin said...

Happy Birthday Lucy! 4 years old! What a beautiful girl!

Julie Jardine said...

Happy Birthday Lucy, we love you! Breanne wishes she could go to Arizona today! That's what she said when I told her that it was Lucy's birthday today. I agree! I wish we were there to celebrate with you!

Monica said...

I love, love the name LUCY.