We had our first "emergency" run around here last week. I'm glad that I have been a parent for 5 years, and this was the first time. You parents of boys, I don't know how you do it.
I know I have a weak stomach. And I feared that my reaction in such a situation would not be the best one. But Caroline told me once that she was afraid of the same thing, and then as soon as an accident happened she snapped into "go" mode and everything was fine.
I apparently have no "go" mode. I have normal and freak out. There is no in between.
I heard Meg fall off the bed, heard her cry, all common occurances, then I went to check on her and saw her head. At first I thought it was a scrape, but quickly the entire back of her head was covered in blood. I started to freak, she was screaming and crying, wouldn't talk, wouldn't come down stairs with me. I finally got her downstairs to start cleaning her up and found a 3/4 inch cut where she hit our night stand when she rolled off the bed. I continued to freak out, called my visiting teacher, a friend, another friend, then a friend called me, called Adam, freaking out to each one individually. Lucy is freaking out at this point too. Carlie had pooped her pants, but stayed calm, just reminded me every two seconds that she was poopy.
Finally my friend Cheri came over, let me know that Meg would need stitches, and offered to stay with the girls. We got Meg to the urgent care who got us right in, calmed down Meg, and used dermabond to get her fixed. I don't have a picture, because in freak out mode you don't think about blogging.
Meg is fine now, I'm going to start watching ER re-runs to strengthen my stomach, and there will be no more napping in our bed.
The End
7 comments:
Wow that is really good, 5 years! It's alright if you freaked out, the important thing is things got taken care of and your children are good now. I'd say you did a pretty good job! Now you have an ER story!
Oh, I'm sorry! Poor girl (you and Meg ;) ) Good job Christine!
Hope she heals quickly. No fun. She's such a cutie. I hate when my kids bleed. I'm a "freak out" kind of mom too.
We've done the blood and huge gashes here for awhile now but I am DREADING the day I have to deal with one of my kids and a broken bone!! Hopefully it's Aaron who's with them!
It took me 9 yrs and 5 kids before we got the same kind of little gnash, but head wounds BLEED! My one year old got 1 stich at an urgent care center with no crying. Boys/Girls it doesn't really matter, my 3 yr old girl is headed for diaster faster than my 4 and 1 yr old boys... personality I guess =-)
haha I can totally picture freak out mode.
don't be mad that I laugh at this. :)
Yikes. I don't know if I could handle it at all. Good job!!!
Post a Comment