I'll try to make this brief. I am actually amazed that I even have time to blog this morning, but I guess that's the beauty of 1:30 church right?
So, on to the vent. I am enjoying my calling right now. More than I thought I would which is saying something because I was really excited to begin with. And it's my first time-- Ward Choir Director. Being a music major at a church school we were told we would be given this calling numerous times, but it took me five years to land the job. Which it totally fine, because I also enjoy participating. But seriously. . . if the cops show up to one more choir rehearsal. . . how am I supposed to handle this?
The first time friendly cop shows up it's because several of us a parked illegally, myself included. My car was facing the wrong direction, someone was too close to a fire hydrant, a few were more than 18 inches from the curb. Was this cop just roaming the neighborhood and happened to find our gathering? Oh no, he was called by a neighbor who was apparently disturbed by our parking job.
Today we were visited by friendly cop again, this time he was less patient because he's "already been really nice", you know the ONE other time he has talked to us. It just so happens the offender this time hasn't been to choir in a few months so she wasn't aware that we had such parking issues. She was parked about 6 inches in front of the neighbor's 3-car driveway.
Should we bring the neighbor cookies? Invite him to join us? An apology card? Assign a parking attendant to double check that everyone is parked within regulation? Honestly, do our cops really have nothing else to do on a Sunday morning? I mean, I guess that's a good thing, but our choir is never more than an hour, usually closer to 45 minutes, which means that every time the cop comes we lose our momentum that is precious with such a short rehearsal!
So next week if someone parks incorrectly in the slightest they will get a ticket. At choir. As if we don't have a hard enough time getting people there to begin with.
5 comments:
Oh, that is awful. I'm sorry. You don't have that much area to park as it is, I'm sorry that you have such a picky neighbor. But "nothing can stop the work of Lord from going forth...." So keep trying. I'm sure sorry that it has become an issue for you though. Good Luck!
(And when we come, we will be extra careful to park correctly!)
Wow! that's horrible and I thought our choir was having troubles, I think the cookie idea is good, being it over and tell them your sorry and explain what your doing, and that you have new people every week. And ask them to join. I don't think they'd be offended. Offer them a hand of fellowship. Good luck! keep us updated!
Oh wow. That would be pretty frustrating. But I'm all over the cookie idea! What a great way for the church members to practice what they preach, and show the neighbors that you live what you believe. Who knows? Maybe they'll be surprised and intrigued by your kindness and they'll want to know more. By small and simple things are great things brought to pass. :) It's worth a try anyway!
hahahaha all these people think it's awful, I think it's AWESOME!!! What a great missionary opportunity! :)
A phone call for sure!! I'll try to call this week. I miss you!
Warren told me about this. You have to admit it sounds kind of funny, "The cops showed up to choir practice AGAIN!" Just remember there is opposition in all things. Carry on!
Post a Comment