Friday, November 7, 2008

WOW! All I can say is, WOW!

I know being from Seattle and therefore having grown up close to an active gay community, the response to Prop 8 in California probably should not surprise me. But it still does because. . .WOW! Here is the story that sparked my shock:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-protest7-2008nov07,0,3827549.story
I can't get over the hypocrisy here. They post signs saying '8 is hate' and 'we won't fight hate with hate' implying to those watching that homosexuals do not hate, and don't want other people to hate either right? Then they run slanderous ads which imply that LDS missionaries will barge into your homes, steal your personal possessions and ruin legal documents. I don't see how that is not hatred. If we ran a similar ad about homosexuals we would be thrown in jail for hate speech, right? They are also lining the temple with signs, shaking the gates, yelling at those going to the temple -- and this is the opposite of hate?

I'm going to try to not go off on this. I really am. For me my honest opinion was, let them get married, what's the big deal? Then I started reading about the big deal. And when it comes down to it, my religious freedom would be taken away. My bible would be considered hate speech. My right to teach my children in my own way about homosexuality would be compromised (in MA they have denied parents the option to take children out of school when homosexuality is taught). My religious leaders could be sued over defending their religion and the will of God. And that, for me, is most definitely a big deal.

I am so glad that Prop 102 down here in Arizona passed and that my religious freedom is protected for a little bit longer. The members and missionaries in California need our prayers more than ever. I can't imagine what they are going through. Now more than ever,
God Bless America!