Wednesday, June 17, 2009

back home in one piece

We had a great time in Utah, but the trip was far too short. The kids did so great, especially Carlie. She barely made a peep the entire time we were gone. And. . . I left my camera at home. So you'll have to use your imagination! Don't worry, I'll help you.

Our trip started out with a job interview in Scottsdale on our way up to Utah. Surprisingly enough, it was with another division of the company he just left. It is a part-time position that will work with his seminary job, and just about pays the same hourly rate he was making before. He was offered the job at the interview, so obviously our trip started on a good note.
{picture the girls eating banana bread in the parking lot while waiting for Daddy's interview to start}

During Adam's interview I took the girls to Kohl's and Carlie screamed almost the whole time. This was our only rough time with Carlie. She calmed down when we gave her a little toy butterfly. Then I took it away, it was $12! I'm not spending $12 on a toy for the baby! Then she cried some more. So we gave it back. And the crying stopped. Do you see where this is going?
{pitcure a colorful butterfly in the hands of a happy baby after Mom caved}

The ride up was pretty great, we arrived at 10:30 pm. The girls played for a minute and then went to bed, eshausted. The next day we visited cousins, aunts and uncles, and Ma and Pa.
{picture cute hugging pictures of cute girls with their relatives :sigh:}

That night we took everyone to the open house of the Oquirrh Mountain Temple. It was great, and the kids were good, but didn't want to be in the stroller. None of them, including Angel Baby.
{picture 5 adults pushing 3 empty strollers, carrying and holding on to 9 children}
They had a couple talk in the sealing room about the power of the temple, and marriage for eternity. I think that was my favorite part, being in there with this great family I am sealed to. It was neat, and I hope the girls remember how beautiful it was. Lucy loved the chandeliers. Megan loved the oxen under the baptismal font.
We did feel a little weird because we didn't dress up, and we were like one of twenty people that didn't. But we still had a great time.

Saturday was relaxing and we just hung out and had fun. The kids loved playing on the trampoline at Ma's house.
{picture jumping kids with big smiles and dirty feet}

Sunday we went to a missionary farewell for Adam's cousin. She did a fantastic job, and we had a fun lunch afterwards.
{picture more jumping, this time in dresses}
Adam and I made dinner that night, my favorite baked ziti recipe and played some games after we put the kids to bed.

Monday we went to see my friend Lindsey and her kids, which was so great! I haven't seen her since my wedding! The kids had fun playing with her kids, and we had a chance to catch up and reminisce. Lindsey and I worked at Philmont together and had some great times. Later we got a chance to see someone's new house (we'll keep it a secret!) and we're excited about it! Then we got together for a yummy rib dinner with strawberry shortcake for dessert.
{picture messy faces, shirts dripped with strawberry, glowing campfire, and lots of smiles}

Then we headed home. It was great, until we broke the borrowed DVD player. That made the last few hours a little. . . how can I put this. . . let's just say patience was a must for everyone. Lucy and Meg decided to fill the last few hours with lots of yelling, mostly nonsense words, singing, humming, and general noise making of all kinds.
{picture a wound-up Meg and a hyper Lucy, a crying Carlie, and a gloriously patient mom and dad-- right!}

But we made it home, and Lucy can't wait to go back to Utah. She had a great time, as did the rest of us. Thanks for letting us visit! Hopefully we'll see everyone sooner than later.

3 comments:

Pamela said...

It sounds like you had a fabulous time. I am so gald that you got to go. I am headed to Utah to go see my Family in a few weeks but unfortunatly Steven can'g go with me. Oh well (sigh) he will be with my when we come down for the Mills Reunion next month.

Julie Jardine said...

We loved having you!!! Please come and stay at said "new house"! And you are so cute for letting it be our news, but now I've bloged about it, so it's no big deal if you want to spread the news! Anyway, thank you for bloging about the events of the week. Now I wont have to remember on my own. It really was a fun visit, and I agree that it was much too short. You have such darling kids! They were so much fun to be around, and now I think we will by quoting Megan's, "It be Saturday!" Hope to see you again soon...we'll see! Love you guys! I'm glad you made it home safe! Congrats on the new jobs! It'll be great!

Teresa said...

So exciting he got the job! Now you really know for sure things are going where they are supposed to. We've had that same convo, about teaching seminary, many times. Peter has loved it too. We're so happy for you. Thanks for sharing such a faith promoting story - I appreciate it.