Sunday, September 30, 2012

new haircuts and a new adventure

I am still teaching piano and voice lessons and I LOVE IT!  Seriously, I love it.  This year I have three adult students, one piano and two voice.  I cannot tell you how happy this makes me!  I am inspired by these women who are willing to try new things!  

What does that have to do with haircuts?  Oh yeah. . . One student is a hairdresser so we are trading lessons for hair.  Which means from now on we will all have fabulous hair all the time.  Take a peek. . . 



Carlie and Megan actually came out with the same haircut, but it looks so drastically different because of their drastically different hair textures.  Carlie's is to DIE FOR when it is curled.  I'll have to post a picture of that soon.

So what was our new adventure?  One that I hope to NEVER repeat.  Stitches.  Three of them.  On the Carlie Bug.  It was an absolute nightmare.  Seriously.

Wednesday night she was supposed to be getting her jammies on, but instead decided to jump on her bed.  Somehow she managed to bite through her lip, almost completely.  I was downstairs when I heard the screaming.  There was so much blood, I could tell we would need some help and it looked like it went all the way through.  I told Adam I would take her in, deciding "I am a mom, I can handle this".

When we arrived, and during the car ride there Carlie was totally calm.  In the exam room they gave her an iPad to play with, so she was totally happy.  They brought in numbing cream so the stitches wouldn't hurt.  Again, totally calm.  Then the PA came in with a shot.

GAME OVER.

Carlie started screaming, yelling, kicking, panicking, flailing, going completely crazy.  I tried to calm her down, and after about 10 minutes of the PA convincing her it wouldn't hurt, she allowed one shot.  Then she screamed in pain!  To which the PA replies "oh, yeah, the shot doesn't hurt, but when the medicine gets in it stings a little bit".  UGH.  I'm not about that, if it's going to hurt tell them it's going to hurt, but that it will be okay.

I call Adam for back up, find someone to stay with the kids (Thank you Uncle Seth), and Carlie finally falls asleep.  So the PA comes back in for another shot.  "Don't worry, she really won't feel this one".  Carlie immediately wakes up screaming in pain again!  So now she's won't trust anyone.  After another 15 minute struggle, Adam and I hold her down as the PA puts in three of the ugliest stitches I've ever seen, Carlie crying and whimpering the entire time.

Unbelievable.  Probably the worst experience of my life.  Until we went back to get the stitches out.

THAT was the absolute worst.

It took about 1 1/2 hours, an exam room, the waiting room, the bathroom, Adam, me, PA, two nurses, two types of scissors, tweezers, and a blanket.  FOR THREE STITCHES.  She yelled, and screamed and panicked, including "No Doctor, NO!  Don't do it Doctor!  I don't want them out!"  We tried and tried to get her calm, but in the end we had to hold her down, in the waiting room (luckily there was no one else there), and she yelled the whole time.  I seriously thought she was going to get cut by the scissors and have to get more stitches!  This girl, I tell you what!

So glad we have her.  So glad it wasn't MORE serious.

But at least she has fantastic hair.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Fabulous indeed!
Poor Miss Carlie, and poor you guys. What a crazy time! I've dreaded doctors appointments with Eli, worst experiences of my life--pretty sure I've lost a few years of my life, too! Hope you guys don't have to go through that again, or anytime soon.

And way to be a teacher of talent. Love it! So glad you have something that makes you and other better. (I hope to take up piano again, one day. For now I'm a "one handed" wonder!)