Tuesday, June 14, 2011

surprise!

Adam and I were laughing the other day about how silly we can be. We have agreed that the past year, his first year of full time teaching was a coasting year. Money was a little less tight, insurance was worry-free, cars didn't act up, very few health issues, a fairly simple pregnancy, and semi-easy, very enjoyable callings at church. We talked about how a boy would throw us for a loop and could be a bit of a challenge.

HA! If only it were that easy! We should have known that the Lord would have more in store for us than just a new gender to deal with. For me, it has been friendships. I have been having a lot of trials with many different friends, some resolved, others still weighing on my mind. It has been difficult, but it has caused me to be very prayerful about how I need to react.

Then yesterday Baby Boy decided to get a little anxious and I started having contractions. They pretty much lasted all day, and I finally went to the hospital around 2 pm. They monitored me and assured me they were contractions, but since they were irregular and I wasn't dialated, just to take it easy and time them if they got worse. Today, so far, I am fine when I lay down, and then contractions start every time I get up. This could make for a MISERABLE 5 weeks!

As for Adam, he got a new calling. We had to meet with the Stake Presidency, and assumed he'd be called to be the Executive Secretary, since he has been assisting ours for the past year, and now ours is moving. We thought it was a good guess anyway. Instead, they called him to be in the Stake High Council. I don't think I've ever had my jaw drop like that before. We were very surprised, and I selfishly worried about how I could handle the kids, plus a new baby, and play the organ, and direct the choir, and teach Relief Society all at the same time. Luckily his schedule won't be too crazy the first few months. His speaking assignments won't conflict with our sacrament, so he can help with that, then he will just be gone most of the day.

But we are grateful! Adam's dad will come ordain him to be a High Priest and we are excited for that. And the learning that comes with any new calling, no matter how much of a surprise it may be.

5 comments:

Aaron & Jayme said...

Did you see that massive list of your responsibilities on Sundays?! I don't think it was very selfish at all, just regearing and making a new plan with how to deal with everyone!

If you ever need some help just let me know!

etreiersen said...

I can't imagine trying to be on "bed rest" with three other kiddos to take care of. Luckily it is only 5 weeks and not your entire pregnancy. I wish we lived closer so I could help you out. We will be sending lots of prayers your way. We were not at all surprised about Adam's new calling, he will do great. Best of luck to you sitting alone with 4 children. I have a hard enough time during sacrament meeting with 2 children. Hopefully people will sit by you and help you out.

Kristin said...

Wow, Christine! So many changes in your household! Adam will do so great. I hope baby boy doesn't give you any more trouble and you can get some relaxation in :)

Sarah said...

Good luck with baby boy. Isn't it funny sometimes how things go wildly different than you expect? Congrats on the new call. I can relate; my hubby just got a call to be a counselor in the bishopric. But I'm only juggling two, and not playing the organ or leading the choir or teaching relief society. Adam will be a great job! And you will be a great support. :)

Mark&Noelle Taylor said...

i havent checked blogs forever but was browsing and check yours so glad i did cool on having a boy hope all goes well and I got a little teary hearing about all your callings Adam will be so awesome I just know it. your family is so dang cute hope all keeps going well.