Last Friday was a special night. This little bundle of joy joined our family. Extended family, that is. Here is sweet little Aubrey Elizabeth Reiersen, my brother Neal's baby girl.

Friday was a fun day! Neal called about 1:00 pm and said, "Kristen's having contractions about 20 minutes apart, and I have to work in an hour, can you take her to the hospital if they start getting closer?" I said, "SURE! Except I have two extra kids, and there is no way I am taking 5 kids into the hospital, so I'd have to drop her off-- oh, and the car is in the shop, so I have to pick up Adam at 4:00, and then go pick up the other car, we'll be home by 4:30, and then the extra kids will be picked up at 5:00-- why don't you tell her to lay down, and take it easy and see if we can't get those contractions to hold off?"
And bless little Aubrey's heart, if she didn't time it exactly perfect. We walked in the door about 4:45, dinner ready and in the fridge (thankfully I followed that prompting to plan ahead), extra kids to be gone in 15 minutes, and Kristen calls at 4:50 saying, "okay, now the contractions are 5 minutes apart. Should we go to the hospital?" I say, "I'm on my way!" yell a few instructions to Adam about the kids and dinner and off I go. 

We called Neal on the way and he said to call him when we got closer to delivery time and he'd find someone to fill in for him at work. I had Kristen call him back and tell him to come RIGHT NOW! We got to the hospital at 5:00 and she was dialated to a 5, and 100% effaced. Contractions were still constant, and she was such a trooper!

Neal got there about 6:30, Kristen was progressing, got her epidural, and then we got to play the waiting game! We watched a little TLC, watched a movie (our hospital provides free edited movies which I feel we all took full advantage of), and Neal knitted. About 9:45 I ran home for the few things that were forgotten- the camera, a pillow for Neal, baby blankets, baby socks, and stopped at home for dinner because I was starving and Adam had already called to tell me how good it was. 

What a special experience it was for me to be there. I've never been a part of a birth as a bystander before, but WOW the spirit in that room was so strong. I know Heavenly Father takes special care of these mothers as they bring children into the world.

When I got back they were already pushing, and Kristen was doing so great. Aubrey came out at 11:20 pm, 8 pounds, 7 ounces, 20 inches long. She had a ton of blonde hair, and the trademark Reiersen nose.

The proud parents! They did great!

What a special experience it was for me to be there. I've never been a part of a birth as a bystander before, but WOW the spirit in that room was so strong. I know Heavenly Father takes special care of these mothers as they bring children into the world.
Congratulations you three! We love you!
3 comments:
Congratulations Neal and Kristin! What a cutie. Christine what a nice post you did. It is nice to get filled in on the details. Carlie all of a sudden looks so old holding Aubrey.
I love the picture of Carlie. I love it when babies hold babies. Their faces are priceless!
Congrats to Neal and Kristin! So wonderful!
She's adorable! I can't wait to see her! Congrats Neal and Kristen! I wish I had the picture perfect birth...I cry thinking about how lucky they were. I didn't get any of the "normal birth stuff" (baby comes out and greets mommy and daddy, etc)Hopefully next time though.
Post a Comment