I also could not possibly leave out my great dad on my list of "thankfuls". I love this picture of him, that face is one he always gives my kids, and they love their papa.
My dad is a hard worker. He is a piano technician and has been self-employed for most of my life. He has worked in our garage lifting, buffing, re-finishing, installing piano discs, tuning, sanding, painting, you name it to pianos of all types and qualities. I, of course, loved playing the "extra pretty" pianos as a kid, just one perk of being a piano technician's daughter. I remember hearing the test runs of a piano disc at 2 or 3 am as a kid, or dad waking up at 5 am to do the last minute touch ups. He also did house calls far and wide around the Puget Sound area, which I'm sure he hated sometimes. Seattle traffic is not the kindest. But he did it for us, so we could go to college, or go on missions, or have a nice wedding reception. It is one trait I hope I have inherited.
My dad is also a spiritual giant. My dad has a quiet testimony, but it is a strong one. It is easy to tell just by being around him that he loves the Lord and the gospel. We have had many gospel discussions in our home throughout my childhood and adult life and I feel so blessed to have parents so well versed in the gospel that they understood and lived all of it's teachings. I have had many opportunites to hear them explain a principle with scripture stories, conference talks, and teachings of living prophets. It is a gift I can only hope to give my own children.
My dad always puts his family first. My dad has had a lot of time consuming callings over the years. Mostly he has been in bishoprics, high priest group leaderships, or scouts. At least that's what I remember. And what does that mean? Meetings, meetings, and more meetings. In fifth grade I took violin lessons. I was not great. One night I asked my dad for help (he plays the violin pretty well) and so he was helping me practice. I don't know how long, but it felt like a long time. I remember him looking at his watch and saying he needed to go, undoubtedly he was late for a meeting. Then he stayed and helped for about another 20 minutes and chose to go to his meeting late. Now, I was 10, so what felt like 2 hours may have been 30 minutes, but either way I remember him putting me first. That's what has stayed with me almost 20 years later.
My dad is musical. And he's very good. He plays the french horn, the violin and he sings. He is getting pretty good at the organ despite not ever taking lessons. I don't know many people who can do that. He was always a great music coach for me and taught me the importance of ward choir. Growing up I was not allowed to take voice lessons or school choir unless I sang in the ward choir. So, at 12 I was tagging along with dad to every practice. He has a fantastic voice and I always loved singing with him. My mom always says it's clear where I got my music from.
My dad is handy. That may not sound like much of a compliment, but trust me, it is. He knows how to do and fix everything. He gets a lot of calls from us kids (and some of our friends) whenever we can't figure something out. I have called for questions on computers, water heaters, washing machines, car problems and even space derby tracks. I realized this fully when I needed help with the pilot light at Grandma and Grandpa's condo, so I called an uncle who was nearby. He replied, "Um. . . I would call your dad. He's the one I call when I need help with anything." While visiting our house he has installed a ceiling fan, shelves in the closet, adjusted our blinds to fit perfect, built a shoe rack, fixed a bed that had flown out of a pick-up, and painted said bed.
My dad is a terrific chef. I have countless meals I could list here for examples, but I will stick to one quick story since the kids are expiring once again. When I was pregnant with Lucy we visited my parents and came home around 7 one night. Dad had another meeting to run to but I was STARVING! In a matter of minutes he whipped up a delicious meal using sausage, tomatoes, green pepper, onion and top ramen. Adam and I watched in amazement, and then scarfed the whole thing down. I don't think we even saved any for mom. It was THAT good.
I know I have a great dad, I just wanted all of you to know too! I love you dad!
1 comment:
He was there for me and my mom when we needed help, too. Thanks, dad =)
Post a Comment