Tuesday, September 10, 2013

first day frenzy

So, we got back from our fabulous trip to Utah the night before school started for Adam, Lucy and Megan.  It was a little crazy, I wouldn't recommend it.  Especially because we left about 2 weeks before school started, so I kept thinking, 'I have two weeks!  I got this!"  And then on our vacation I realized I would have NO time to get ANYTHING.  So, you'll notice Meg's cute first day of school outfit (Lucy's from last year), and Lucy wearing an outfit I bought for her 4 years ago.  Not kidding.  They are also sporting last years backpacks, and last years lunch sacks.  


And how grateful am I for these kids?  Was there any complaining?  Was there any whining?  Was there any tears over hand-me-downs and recycled supplies?  No, there weren't any.  These girls amaze me.  Meg, upon receiving Lucy's old lunch bag said, "I love this lunch bag, it's so cute!"  When I told Lucy she could just use last years back pack she said, "Oh, that's good, I really like that bag".  
These sweet girls are in 3rd and 1st grade this year, time is flying by.  Lucy is in the gifted and talented program at her school, so she is pulled out every afternoon for accelerated reading and math.  She says she doesn't like math, but the kid scores off the charts in every math category.  Her reading comprehension is similar, she has an understanding of whatever she reads that is surpassing an average 3rd grader.  

Megan was so excited for all day school, and so far is adjusting okay.  There's been a few days where she has said she doesn't want to go anymore, but they are rare.  She is getting great at reading as well, but gets frustrated that she's not where Lucy is.  If she attempts to read the same books as Lucy, she has a hard time.  She is reading the Book of Mormon, and loves to mark her scriptures.  The other day she said to me, "Mom, I'm finding some really cool principles in here."  Um, hello?  Can you tell what daddy does for a living?  It made me smile, because that is a phrase she hears daddy say a lot.  

Adam also started at his new school, and we are loving having him home more and being able to visit often.  Good things are happening this year!

2 comments:

Pamela said...

Love all the pictures and the undates. One of these days I will get around to it and do a nice summer blog dump as well.

Sarah said...

What sweet girls! And yay for positive changes.